Saturday 1 May 2010

Fwd: The new replacement for the late Steve Irwin]



 > Crocodile crazy: The man who enjoys giving his dangerous 'companion'
> kisses and cuddles
>
>
>
> Known as the 'Crocodile Man', Costa Rican animal lover 'Chito' swims,
> plays and even feeds 'Pocho' the giant crocodile in what is one of the
> world's most unlikely friendships.
>
> Wading chest-deep through the green water in a 100 sq/m lake in Siquirres,
> this bizarre and dangerous spectacle draws tourists from around the world.
>
>
> Calling quietly for his five metre long 'companion' before thrashing
> around, lifting his tail and head above the water.
>
>
>
> Unlikely friendship: Chito rests on top of buddy Pocho, who he rescued
> after the crocodile was shot in the eye
> 'This is a very dangerous routine but Pocho is my friend and we have a
> good relationship,' says 52-year-old Chito. 'He will look me in the eye
> and he does not attack me.
>
> 'It is too dangerous for anyone else to come in the water. It is only ever
> the two of us.'
>
> The bizarre friendship began nearly 20 years ago when Chito rescued the
> 980-pound crocodile after finding him close to death on the shore of the
> Parismina River, in the Caribbean province of Limsn.
>
>
>
> Crazy: Chito plays with Pocho the crocodile, who seems to enjoy the attention
>
>
> Shot in the left eye by a cattle farmer after preying on a herd of cows,
> Chito enlisted the help of several friends to load the massive reptile
> into his boat, Naming him 'Pocho' (meaning strength), the fisherman says
> he healed the reptile with medicine, food, and, more importantly, lots of
> care and attention.
>
> 'When I found him in the river after he was dying so I put him in my boat
> and I brought him into my house,' recalls Chito.
>
> 'He was very skinny, weighing only around 150 pounds, so I gave him
> chicken and fish and medicine for six months to help him recover.'
>
>
>
>
> Rolling around: Chito says that if anyone else entered the water it would
> be deadly
>
>
> During the recovery process, Chito stayed by Pocho's side, even sleeping
> with him at night.
>
> 'I just wanted him to feel that someone loved him, that not all humans are
> bad,' Chito says. 'I love all animals, especially ones that have suffered.
> It meant a lot of sacrifice. I had to be there every day.'
>
> After Chito felt that Pocho had bonded with him, he started to get closer
> and closer to the animal.
>
>
> Tourist attraction: It took Chito many years to build his relationship
> with Pocho to this level
>
> 'After 10 years I started to work with him,' he says. 'At first it was
> slow, slow and I started to play with him a little, touching him a little
> bit and then slowly doing more. Then I found that when I called his name
> he would come over to me.'
>
> Today tourists travel from all over the world to see the unusual spectacle.
>
> 'I am happy because I rescued him and he is happy with me because he has
> everything he needs," says Chito.
>


Share your memories online with anyone you want anyone you want.


Share your memories online with anyone you want anyone you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...