Thursday 24 March 2011

Hyperlink problem in Excel

Problem:

I found that whenever I save a file in a network folder. Eg. \\abc\def\123.xls

And in that file, I tried to link to a path eg. \\abc\xyz\456.xls

When I used the normal Insert Hyperlink function from the menu.  Saved it but later when I open it again.  There’s an error “The address of this site is not valid,  Check the address and try again”

 

Then when I open up the Hyperlink dialog box, I noticed that in the address box (circled in yellow), the path is automatically translated to relative path (../456.xls) instead of the absolute path (\\abc\xyz\456.xls).  I tried to add a double inverted commas before and after the path but it fails.

 

Attempt to solve the problem:

So, I also tried to use the built in formula =hyperlink(“absolutepath”). It doesn’t work too.. still it fails after I reopen the file again.

 

 

Mystery solved at last

Then, only I realized that I should not ignore the label part (the friendly name) of the hyperlink formula.  =HYPERLINK(link_location,friendly_name).  And Yes, this solves the problems.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...